Wednesday 6 July 2016

Top Five Wednesday | Favourite Books Outside Your Comfort Zone



My second week of Top Five Wednesday and this week I'm going to talk about the five books that I loved that are taken from genres I don't usually read. Because of these books I've actually started to pick up more from their genres. Usually I go for either fantasy or science fiction but I like to change things up slightly at times.

Now, let's get started.

All I Know Now, by Carrie Hope Fletcher 
I hardly ever read non-fiction unless its to do with school but I picked this up because it's Carrie and I've loved her Youtube videos for as long as I can remember. This is a self help guide, once again something that I would never read, but I loved it. I really really did. It was just like having her talk to me. It was rather perfect.

Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell
Contemporary books are something that I rarely read. Sure I'll pick them up occasionally but I've never really loved them. But Fangirl really sounded like something I could enjoy and relate to, even though I'm not at uni yet and I don't have a twin sister. It opened this whole new genre up to me and I know now that I want to read more of.

Passenger, by Alexandra Bracken
Even though I adore science fiction and fantasy, one genre ... well sub genre ... that I never seem to read is time travel. I know that there are quiet a few genres out there that fit into this genre but it's something that I never read. In fact, I can't actually remember reading a time travel book before reading Passenger. It was so different to anything else that I know I'll probably pick up more. Not all the time but occasionally.

Wolf by Wolf, by Ryan Graudin 
A couple of years ago I used to adore historical fiction, I'm a bit of a history geek so it was always something that i'd read but I hardly ever read it now. Especially not alternate universe historical novels. My knowledge of what happens usually causes me to hate it in some way and I just sit there thinking "why?"
But Wolf by Wolf drew me in immediately and I devoured it in a matter of days. It was beautiful and even though it is outside of my comfort zone, I know that it is something that I will think about for years.

Me Before You, by Jojo Moyles
I am not someone who enjoys reading a sob story. Chick lit has never been my thing. I'd rather read some space opera than sit sobbing in the corner about some doomed relationship, because that is how these books will usually go. I picked this up because of the film trailer and I thought it might be a quick read. Who would have known how many tears I shed over this. I'm not a crier so I don't know how that happened. Reading this, really took me out of my comfort zone .... in a good way.

So there we go, my top five books that took me out of my comfort zone. What books took you out of your comfort zone yet you loved them?

-IAMGEEKINGINGER!
Book Total of 2016 - 51
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment