Sunday 22 November 2015

Review | All My Friends Are Superheroes, by Andrew Kaufman

What You Need To Know:
Title: All My Friends Are Superheroes
Author: Andrew Kaufman
Number of Pages: 120
Genres: Fantasy, Contemporary, Science Fiction, Romance, Humour. 
Series/standalone: Standalone 
Publisher: Coach House Books
Publication Date: 19th October, 1999

The Plot:
All Tom's friends are Superheroes. No really. There's the Ear, the Spooner, the Impossible Man. Tom even married a Superhero, the Perfectionist. But at their wedding, the Perfectionist was hypnotised (by her ex-boyfriend Hypno, of course) to believe that Tom is invisible. Nothing that he does can make her see him. Six months later, she's sure that Tim has abandoned her.

So she's moving to Vancouver: she'll use her superpowers to make Vancouver perfect and leave all the heartbreak in Toronto. With no idea Tom's beside her, she boards an airplane in Toronto. Tom has until the the wheels touch the ground in Vancouver to convince her he's visible, or he loses her forever.

My Thoughts:
This book was described to me as being a bedtime story; that it would make me nostalgic and that it was pure unadulterated pleasure to read. In short, I would love it. I thought that too when I read the blurb. It sounded like it was going to be an amazing read. A story that was simple yet taught life lessons.

And although I read it in one sitting, sadly I did not love it.

I didn't know whether it was the lack of description or the lack of believable characters. I couldn't connect with Tom so I felt no sympathy towards anything that went on.
Yes, at times the book did make me laugh but that was it. I probably would have put it down if the book hadn't have been so short.

It just wasn't that appealing at all. Strange how so many other people adored this book yet I could hardly stand it. It wasn't the best thing I read but it wasn't the worst either.

Rating:
I hate to say it but I'm going to give this book ***

-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER!
Book Total of 2015 - 62
XXX     



No comments:

Post a Comment