Thursday 10 September 2015

Writer's Block

Oh writer's block, you are a cruel mistress.

I'm sure that somewhere along the everyone has dealt with the pain that is writer's block. Whether it's for an essay or for simply writing; it is the biggest pain in the arse that anyone can have.
I've been suffering from writer's block for the past seven months to do with one fanfictions. Nothing else, really, has struck me but for this one piece of work I have been stuck with writer's block and it's really starting to annoy me. I feel like I have this tiny thorn stuck in my shoe and I can't get it out; it's not visible from my soul but I can feel and ugh is it annoying.

So for the past few hours, I've been sat here attempting to write so that my readers don't kill me (trust me when I say that the death threats will likely start coming any time soon). Nothing is working. I have been staring blankly at my keys for the past five or six hours. It is a bloody pain!

To help me get over this writer's block, I've been googling and I think I have found some good cures so I thought I would share them with you all.

Do something else that's creative:
One of the main reasons that I struggle with writer's block is when my creative juices stop flowing. Don't know if this is just me but I find doing something else that uses the creative side helps me get through it. I like to do a bit of singing, attempt to choreograph a dance to one of my favourite pieces of music, I've baked a few times and sometimes I knit. Usually it helps.

Just write:
Simply sit down and write. It doesn't matter if it is bad, just let the chaos fly out of your head and then things should feel a lot calmer inside your head.

Write in a different point of view:
Maybe your main character is no longer clicking with you, so give it a go inside someone else's head. This could be a brand new scene or something you wrote ages ago, who cares. But it should help get a new feel on the book.

Have a conversation with one of your characters:
People may think you are insane for this so it is probably a good idea to do it in the safety of your room. Sit down and have a chat with one of your characters, like an imaginary friend from when you were a kid, and this should help you get a brand new feel for some of your characters.

Write for You:
Forget everyone else and write the story or blog or dictionary or whatever the hell it is for you. Forget about your readers who want it to go a certain way, it is your creativity so why should they be able to pressure you into changing it or updating quicker. Forget everything and just sit down when you have time and write when you are in the mood to do so.

I hope that that helped. Writer's block is evil so hopefully I can actually help people get through it.

-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER!
Book Total of 2015 - 47
XXX


No comments:

Post a Comment