Friday 30 October 2015

Review | Throne of Glass, by Sarah J. Maas

What You Need To Know:
Title: Throne of Glass
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Number of Pages: 404
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal, Mystery
Series/Standalone: First book in the Throne of Glass Series
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: 7th August 2012

The Plot:
Meet Celaena Sardothien. Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.
In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen year old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made one fatal mistake; she got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return to act as Prince Dorian's champion in a competition to become the King's Assassin.
But things are not as easy as they should believe, especially when some of Celaena's opponents begin to turn up dead.

As the young assassin investigation leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined. 

My Thoughts:
I've finally done it. I've finally jumped on the bandwagon and started to read this series. I'm like fifty million years behind everyone else. But I do have an excuse for not reading this series (other than the fact that I didn't own a copy of any of the books until the other week). I don't usually enjoy overly hyped books. My brain sort of decides to dislike really popular books. One huge example being the Divergent trilogy.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed this series. Celaena Sardothien is a wonderful character who is so well written. Not only is she a complete and utter bad ass but she is very girly in places what with her love of clothes and stuff like that. I have a real respect for Sarah J. Maas since she had been writing this book for years and she didn't give up on it.

Personally I think her writing style really shows this. It feels so effortless and floats off the page. She has the perfect balance of dialogue and description whilst including Celaena's thoughts as well. Something that is so refreshing as many author's no longer have this elegant writing style.

However, it was not perfect. Something that really annoyed me was the love triangle. Ugh, love triangles! Why did you have to put a love triangle in. Without it I have no doubt that the book would have been perfect. It housed such an amazing plot that twisted in brilliant ways. Yes, there was a slow section near the end of the book (I think we all know what I'm talking about) but I can forgive that.

But the love triangle spoils it. Truth be told, I didn't notice said love triangle until about a third of the way through the book but once I did see it; I couldn't unsee it. Which is rather annoying really. 

Rating:
Because of all of this, I am going to have to give this book ****. It was amazing but, sadly, it wasn't completely spectacular. 

-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER! 
Book Total of 2015 - 61
XXX 




  

No comments:

Post a Comment